Energy, Mines and Resources

Land Management

What We Do – Land Management

Four jurisdictions administer land in Yukon:

  • The Yukon government controls the majority of vacant lands in the territory.
  • Yukon First Nations control their settlement lands.
  • Municipalities administer lands, community plans and zoning bylaws within their jurisdictions. Whitehorse and Dawson City also control subdivision within their boundaries.
  • The Federal government controls lands consisting of the three national parks (Kluane National Park, Ivvavik National Park and Vuntut National Park) and one Wildlife Area (Nisutlin River Delta National Wildlife Area).

Contact us for information on:

  • Sale of residential, commercial, and industrial lots;
  • Land Applications for commercial, industrial, rural residential, trapping leases, waterlots, quarries and enlargement of existing properties;
  • Completing your land application;
  • Land Use permitting for a variety of uses, including site clearing or earth work; constructing a new road, trail or access; clearing or installing a utility right-of way; conducting geo-technical or hydrological studies; and temporarily using or occupying Commissioner's land; and
  • Quarry permits for sand, gravel and topsoil.

Inquiries into acquiring land for agriculture or grazing purposes can be directed to the Energy, Mines and Resources Agriculture branch. If you have questions regarding land planning or zoning you can contact our Land Planning branch. The City of Whitehorse also has some interesting mapping information for the Whitehorse area.

Contact Us:

Land Management Branch

Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Address: 320-300 Main Street, Whitehorse
Phone: 867.667.5215
Email: OR