Energy, Mines and Resources

Land Planning

Subdivsion infosheet button


Subdivision refers to creating a new surveyed parcel of land under the Subdivision Act [ 170 KB]. Subdivision approval is required when: 

  • a privately titled parcel is divided into more than one parcel; 
  • a parcel is created out of crown land; 
  • two or more parcels are consolidated into a single parcel; or, 
  • an existing parcel is enlarged or reconfigured.

See current subdivision applications >>>

Applying for Subdivision Approval

You must have subdivision approval to divide or reconfigure any privately titled lot. This includes:

  • dividing land into additional parcels;
  • combining two or more lots into one;
  • lot enlargements;
  • making boundary adjustments;
  • creating a new parcel of land from unsurveyed public land;
  • condominium surveys; and,
  • in some cases, long term leases.

3 government bodies are responsible for subdivision approval in Yukon:

Whitehorse and Dawson City control subdivision within their own boundaries. In Whitehorse or Dawson City, you must apply directly to the municipality for subdivision approval.

The Yukon government’s Land Planning Branch is responsible for all other subdivision requests.

To apply for subdivision, you must provide:

If you have already applied to purchase Yukon land from Land Management Branch, and have received a letter authorizing you to proceed to subdivision application, you are not required to fill out a new form, but you must still pay the $100 + GST fee.

If your subdivision is approved, there is a $100 fee for each additional new lot that is created (to a maximum of $1,000). For example, if one lot is divided into 6 new lots, you must pay $500 for the 5 additional parcels created.

More information on subdivision, including selling subdivided land, can be found in the Subdivision Approval Information Sheet [ 44 KB; French  405 KB]

Further information:

For more information on subdivision, contact:

Judy Linton
A/Subdivision Land Use Planner
Land Planning, Energy, Mines & Resources

Phone: 867.667.5357
Toll-free: 1.800.661.0408 ext. 5357
Fax: 867.393.6340