Energy, Mines and Resources

Land Management

Rural Land Development

Rural land management and development services consolidated
April 1, 2014

All new land development initiatives outside the Whitehorse city limits are now coordinated by Energy, Mines & Resources' Land Management branch. Previously, rural land development was managed by the Department of Community Services.

“All communities outside Whitehorse – incorporated and unincorporated – will now be working solely with EMR for their land management needs,” Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources Scott Kent said. “This consolidation enhances the efficiency of land development services to rural Yukon.”

About Rural Land Development

The Rural Land Development unit has the responsibility for the development, planning, design, construction and delivery of Yukon government land development projects throughout Yukon. Working closely with communities, First Nations, other government branches, and private sector developers, the Rural Land Development unit facilitates land development projects for all rural Yukon, inlcuding in unincorporated communities and rural municipalities.

Responsibilities include:

  • Supporting and coordinating land development initiatives in rural Yukon, including in unincorporated communities and with rural municipal governments and First Nations;
  • Finalizing land development agreements with Yukon municipalities outside of the City of Whitehorse;
  • Preparing prices for selling government developed land in rural Yukon;
  • Completing conceptual development plans and working closely with the Yukon government’s Land Planning branch and Advisory Councils for areas where Local Area Plans and zoning have identified sites for future development;
  • Coordinating public and First Nation consultation process with respect to design concepts, and working closely with the Yukon government’s Land Planning branch on planning and zoning amendments for subdivision development; and,
  • Supporting other government units and the public to make land available for development.

Contact Rural Land Development

Rick Gorczyca
Manager - Rural Land Development

Phone: 867.667.3453
Toll-free: 1.800.661.0408 ext.3453