Energy, Mines and Resources


Class 1 Notification Button

The Mineral Resources branch regulates exploration and mining activity and encourages its development.

Yukon Minerals Advisory Board 2017 Annual Report

Submit your Class 1 notification online

Claimholders and operators are now able to submit a Class 1 notification online. Notification is required to carry out Class 1 exploration work in certain areas of Yukon.

Canadian Minerals and Metals Plan

Canada’s federal, provincial and territorial governments are working together to create a Canadian Minerals and Metals Plan. The plan will strengthen Canada’s status as a global mining leader and ensure the mining industry continues to contribute to prosperity for Canadians in a sustainable and responsible manner. During the development of the plan, industry, First Nations and the public are invited to provide input.

Temporary staking prohibition for Ross River Area

Staking is prohibited in the Ross River Area until July 31, 2019.

Staking is prohibited in the remaining portion of the Kaska asserted traditional territory in Yukon until April 30, 2020.

 Yukon resource gateway project

The Yukon Resource Gateway Project will help upgrade over 650 km of road and build or replace numerous bridges, culverts, and stream crossings. Over $360 million in combined federal and territorial funding was announced with planned upgrades to the Indian River Road and Freegold Road in the Dawson Range and the Nahanni Range Road in the Nahanni Range.

Scroggie Creek winter trail

Permit requirements have changed for heavy equipment travel on the Scroggie Creek winter trail. A Land Use Permit is now required from the Land Management branch. A permit from the department of Highways & Public Works is no longer required. Heavy equipment includes vehicles exceeding 5 ton net weight or vehicles exerting a ground pressure in excess of 35 kPa.

Please contact Land Management at 867.667.5215 or toll-free at 1.800.661.0408 ext. 5215 for further information about timelines and requirements for obtaining a Land Use Permit.