Energy, Mines and Resources


Notification of Class 1 mining activities

You are required to submit a notice to the Government of Yukon to carry out:

  • Class 1 quartz exploration,
  • Class 1 placer exploration, or
  • placer prospecting lease work;

if the work is not covered under another mining land use approval and located in a notification area.

If you are unsure if your planned work is in a notification area, use the Yukon Mining Map Viewer to see area boundaries.

For details on what qualifies as Class 1 activities, see the quartz threshold table or placer threshold table.

Submit your Class 1 notification


Quartz and placer exploration notices can be submitted online. You can't submit placer prospecting lease work notices online.

Other ways to submit your Class 1 notification

  1. Fill out the applicable form:
    Class 1 placer notification form [ 197 KB]
    Class 1 quartz notification form [ 197 KB] 
    Prospecting lease work Class 1 notification form [ 1,038 KB]
    Claim holder authorization [ 64 KB]
    Record of agent authorization [ 68 KB]

  2. Submit your form to the district Mining Recorder office in which the work will occur. Public computers are also available here to fill out the forms.

What happens next

The Government of Yukon will review your notice and consult with all affected First Nations on the proposed program. Once this is complete, you will receive a response, usually within 25 days.

Notification areas

Related resources

Where can I find more information?

Contact your district Mining Recorder office if you have further questions on the process for submission and review of a Class 1 notification.

Dawson Mining Recorder office: 867-993-5343

Mayo Mining Recorder office: 867-996-2256

Watson Lake Mining Recorder office: 867-536-7366

Whitehorse Mining Recorder office: 867-667-3190

Contact Us:

Mineral Resources
Phone: 867.667.3422
Fax: 867.456.3889