Energy, Mines and Resources

Government's role in oil and gas development

Historic Photographs

<next | Back to Index | next

4.jpg

The Canol refinery viewed from the bench back of town, 29 October 1943. It was then in a nearly-completed state, along with storage tanks. The principal contractor for this was Bechtel of San Franciso. In 1947, after having served for only a year during World War II, the refinery was bought for $1 million by Imperial Oil Company, dismantled and trucked to Edmonton.